3d surface line

Need help in implementing some specific function to your LightningChart Ultimate powered application? Post a question and get code snippets from other LightningChart Ultimate community members.

Moderator: Queue Moderators

megabite

3d surface line

Post by megabite » Tue May 20, 2014 5:26 pm

We have a WPF application where we would like to display a series of 3D surfaces in a line.

If it helps, here is a description of what we are trying to display. When a laser is focused through a lens, the diameter of the laser converges to a waist then diverges into infinity. The converging and diverging is described by a parabola. We collect images of the laser at different points through the waist. The intensity of the laser across the image provides a 3rd dimension. Analysis of the intensity provides the diameter. We would like to display the 3D intensity image as a series of images through the waist. Obviously we could display a bitmap image at each point but the ultimate would be a 3D surface at each point.

Is this possible with LightningChart Ultimate? TIA!
caustic.png
caustic.png (76.92 KiB) Viewed 10575 times

ArctionPasi

Re: 3d surface line

Post by ArctionPasi » Tue May 20, 2014 9:07 pm

Interesting application :P

Yes, I'm confident it's possible. Just trying to figure out how exactly do you want to show it... So you have kind of slices with intensity data on it, kind of heats map in 3D.

If you want to show it like that, you can use a SurfaceMeshSeries3D for each slice (hide the wireframe).
Heatmaps in 3D.jpg
Heatmaps in 3D.jpg (211.24 KiB) Viewed 10570 times
This image has been made with a designer app over your image, but LC can do it as well.

Or perhaps make a "tube" or set of tubes around specific intensity value level based on your slices.
Assuming heatmap's high intensity = red, medium intensity = green and low intensity = blue, and displaying a medium level tube (green) it would be something like:
Surface in 3D.jpg
Surface in 3D.jpg (207.78 KiB) Viewed 10570 times
Red tube would be inside the green one, and blue tube outside.

This can be also made with SurfaceMeshSeries3D. One series for each tube.

In SurfaceMeshSeries, X,Y and Z of each point can be defined. Just calculate the nodes right to form a warping surface. Fill = Paletted is not suitable for this because it uses coloring by Y value, so use Fill = FromSurfacePoints (where you can set each surface point color explicitly), or Fill = Toned where you can use a solid fill. When using FromSurfacePoints fill, you can query each color value from a ValueRangePalette object, which translates intensity values into colors, and is very suitable for the approach of the first picture.

I hope I didn't understand your goal totally wrong...
LightningChart Support Team, PT

megabite

Post by megabite » Wed May 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Excellent! Your first picture is what we are thinking. A heat map is a good analogy for the images we collect and analyze.

My question is, can we display 3D heat maps in the first image?

ArctionPasi

Post by ArctionPasi » Wed May 21, 2014 5:30 pm

Yes, use SurfaceMeshSeries3D, say mesh size 100x100. Set the colors for each data node. If you need a mock-up example application, I can write such beginning of next week.
LightningChart Support Team, PT

megabite

Post by megabite » Wed May 21, 2014 8:20 pm

ArctionPasi wrote:Yes, use SurfaceMeshSeries3D, say mesh size 100x100. Set the colors for each data node. If you need a mock-up example application, I can write such beginning of next week.
Yes, an example would be very useful as we are novices to Lightning Charts.

We are still evaluating components but Lightning Charts is the unanimous favorite. When we become a customer then I will post here to request your mock-up example.

Thank you for now.