Use Map in LightningChart without providing .md file

Need help in implementing some specific function to your LightningChart Ultimate powered application? Post a question and get code snippets from other LightningChart Ultimate community members.

Moderator: Queue Moderators

bhakti

Use Map in LightningChart without providing .md file

Post by bhakti » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:21 am

Hi,

I am planning to use Lightning Chart to display GIS information. I only have JPEG file from satelite and plan to use it as Map Background. However, from the existing example, I should provide Map ( .md file) to display the background (JPEG file).

Is it possible to display Map Backgound without providing .md file? And, is it possible to create our own .md file?

Many thanks in advance.
bhakti

ArctionPasi

Re: Use Map in LightningChart without providing .md file

Post by ArctionPasi » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:20 am

Hello,

the .md files are vector map files, that contain info of geo objects, for example boundaries of the countries. MD files can be made with LightningChart's tools. It needs ESRI SHP format files as input. These are available from various vendors, freely and commercially. For instructions on how to import the .shp files to .md, see "Importing maps from ESRI shape file data" section in LightningChart's User's Manual.

The map background can be set only when a map is selected (MapType != None) .

By activating a map, you can also hide all the vector map layers, so the map background will be visible only. That is one approach.

Another approach is to use an AnnotationXY. Set the jpg image in its Fill.Bitmap, set Fill.Style = Bitmap, set Fill.Bitmap.Layout = Stretch, set Sizing = AxisValueBoundaries, and set the Lat - Lon range in AxisValuesBoundaries property.

The annotation will then rescale and reposition when you rotate or zoom your view.

I hope this helps ;-)
LightningChart Support Team, PT

bhakti

Re: Use Map in LightningChart without providing .md file

Post by bhakti » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:32 am

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, it helps a lot.

I managed to create empty .md file from empty .shp file using Lightning Chart tool. I suppose we could add another marker/object to the .md file from Lightning Chart.

I think I'll stick to the empty .md file, since I might add some new markers related to what map background I load. Thank you for various approach for this question!

Cheers,
bhakti