No rendering on AMD Radeon HD 8600M

A forum dedicated to WPF version of LightningChart Ultimate.

Moderator: Queue Moderators

areus

No rendering on AMD Radeon HD 8600M

Post by areus » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:01 am

We use LightningChart version 6.5.4.4001.

We observe strange rendering behavior on a Dell Latitude E6440 notebook. This notebook has two graphic cards: an integrated Intel HD and an AMD Radeon HD 8600M.

This is what happens: using the integrated Intel HD graphics adapter (e.g. by just using the notebook's built-in display) we observe no problems with our application. When we put the notebook in its docking station (that has a big monitor connected - resolution 2560 x 1440), then the Radeon graphics card activates. Now the problem is, the LightningChart stops rendering its content. The complete control is just white. All other WPF controls do render normally, but we don't see the chart anymore. It seems that the chart doesn't "hang" because it reacts e.g. on the mouse input, it just doesn't render.

We're using Microsoft Windows 7 Professional with latest updates installed. The WPF app runs .NET Framework 4.5. The AMD Radeon HD drivers are also updated.

Could you please help us resolving this issue?

ArctionPasi

Re: No rendering on AMD Radeon HD 8600M

Post by ArctionPasi » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:44 am

Sound like a hardware specific problem. If you already are running with latest AMD drivers, please update BIOS.

If you enable AMD for your laptop's screen (there should be AMD control panel or equivalent in Windows where you should be able to set AMD as default device for all purposes), does it work then?
LightningChart Support Team, PT

areus

Post by areus » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:59 am

Thank you for your reply!

We have double checked the driver and BIOS versions: they are all up to date.
The default device setting doesn't help.

A hardware specific problem with a standard Dell notebook sounds not very promising since there are millions of those all over the world...

Is there any possibility to investigate this deeper? Perhaps a debug build with additional tracing or something alike? We are ready to provide you with all needed information.

ArctionPasi

Post by ArctionPasi » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:15 pm

Please check if this 3D app works: http://www.arction.com/download/MiniCubeDemo.zip

It's not using LightningChart at all.

areus

Post by areus » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:47 pm

Yes, this app works. I have explicitly assigned the AMD graphic adapter to this app and to our app. The Cube app renders a rotating cube, our app shows a white background instead of a charting control.

ArctionPasi

Post by ArctionPasi » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:56 pm

Ok, the DirectX is then working. Let's trouble-shoot WPF rendering issues then.

Can you check the tips here, if they give any help:http://www.arction.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 533&p=1995

areus

Post by areus » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:06 pm

There is no such registry key on the machine:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics
I have tried to search the registry for "Avalon": no matches.

We have no "Landesk Mirror Display" software on our laptops. But there is a TeamViewer installation - could that be a cause?

UPDATE: Just checked on a laptop without TeamViewer - same observations, white background instead of chart.

areus

Post by areus » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:03 am

Just an update for this thread in case someone faces similar problem.

It seems that there is a rendering issue on this particular mobile graphics adapter when used in WPF via DX9.
In LightningChart version 7.0 and DX11 mode, this issue seems to be fixed.

We'll just wait for the 7.0 release.

Salto

Post by Salto » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:15 pm

I have the same problem with a HP EliteBook 840 which has two graphic cards: Intel HD 4400 (i7 4600U) and a AMD Radeon HD 8750M.
The MiniCubeDemo works on the notebook and there is no registry key "Avalon.Graphics".
If I run lightningchart in version 6.5.5, 6.5.8 or 7.0.2, the chart is not visible. If I enable dx11 on version 7.0.2:

Code: Select all

_lightningChart.ChartRenderOptions.DeviceType = RendererDeviceType.AutoPreferD11;
The chart is visible and the renderer device type is DX11 Hardware.
If I change inside the "power options - Switchable dynamic graphics - Global Settings - AC power" to the value "optimize performance" (in german: Energieoptionen - Umschaltbare dynamische Grafiken - Globale Einstellungen - Netzbetrieb zu Leistung optimieren) the chart is visible in all versions. The difference which I see in the GPU Info is only the Texture max size (8192x8192 working, 16384x16384 not working).
I also tried to change disable one graphic card, but that doesn't work correctly.

Is there an option to solve this bug in a 6.. version or do I need to update to the version 7 with dx11 rendering? If a notebook has only dx9 I think it wouldn't work/visible also with the version 7 from lightningchart?

ArctionPasi

Post by ArctionPasi » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:00 am

The problem is in Intel drivers, in some Direct3D9 specific part. This can't be solved by Arction in v.6 because it doesn't have other than DirectX9 acceleration.

In future, in v.7, we will prioritize DirectX11, now that we have improved its performance better than DirectX9.