Freeform point line series

A forum dedicated to WinForms version of LightningChart Ultimate.

Moderator: Queue Moderators

greggorob64

Freeform point line series

Post by greggorob64 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:59 pm

hello, havent had to bug my arction friends in quite some time!

I'm tasked with taking my data, normally represented in a SampleDataSeries, and we want to do an X vs Y plot. Makes the x axis 'not always increasing'.

I tried an initial load of my data, and I got it to look how it's supposed to (image below). There's 65k points.

The graphing is crushingly slow. Unusable. In this case, I don't need any visible points, just lines.

Any ideas how I can make my graph more responsive? Right now you can only look at it, any interaction takes seconds to render.

Edit: To Add, I'm using the FreeFormPointLineSeries.Points = PointSeries[] property to set my points. My points do use set a Tag value as well. However, all of this is flexible.

Thanks!

ArctionPasi

Re: Freeform point line series

Post by ArctionPasi » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Hi Greg,

:shock:

In our WinForms demo's Lissajous example, by setting XY chart's FreeformPointLineSeries' PointCountLimit to 1M, the data monitoring is still smooth, even with point symbols on, and zoom happens instantly.
Lissajous chart example
Lissajous chart example
Lissajous chart in the middle.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 13633 times
Do you happen to have NaNs, Infs or similar there?
LightningChart Support Team, PT

greggorob64

Post by greggorob64 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:03 pm

The data is all X and Y points with valid data. No infinity or NaN.

This does give me some hope though. I just need to figure out where the bottleneck is.

greggorob64

Post by greggorob64 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:13 pm

Something worth noting: I was running a performance profiler trying to find where my bottlenecks are, and I'm examining arctions handling of the 'moue move' event. In about 10-15 seconds of operation, I noticed that RenderingEngine11.IsMouseOverLine is getting hit 2 million times. Is there somethign that gets extra complex if we do a lot of work with mouse interaction?

I'd post the call stack, but I don't wanna post your source up here :)

greggorob64

Post by greggorob64 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:52 pm

I seriously can't figure out what changed. I moved some intialization code around and my performance penalities are gone. For right now, I'm getting good performance with 65k points. I havent scaled it up to over a million yet.

Thanks for the help.