WPF Charts displays blank on Remote Desktop

A forum dedicated to WPF version of LightningChart Ultimate.

Moderator: Queue Moderators

Madhur

WPF Charts displays blank on Remote Desktop

Post by Madhur » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:22 pm

WPF charts displays on my machine properly, but if I use same machine using remote desktop wpf charts do not display but only blank, no grid, bar, axes, labels etc.
If I disconnect remote desktop and come back to PC and view already opened and left up application, earlier working charts now do not display.

It appears that remote desktop causes wpf charts rendering process to stop.

My machine configuration:
DirectX :11.0
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000
CPU: i7

I have searched other chains on this topic in same forum but it was indicated that above mentioned configuration should work.
Any help is appreciated.

ArctionJari

Re: WPF Charts displays blank on Remote Desktop

Post by ArctionJari » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:14 pm

Does this happen with our WPF demo application too? I just tested this the way you described on a laptop that has Intel HD Graphics 4000 GPU and the chart was visible locally and through Remote Desktop connection. Can you also check if this happens with other operating systems like Windows 8 (which is the OS on the laptop I tested this)?

Madhur

Post by Madhur » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:13 pm

Thanks Jari!!
It happens with WinForm/WPF demo application too, i.e. not displaying charts though action pane (buttons, input selection on right side) displays. I am using Win7 enterprise x64 OS.
We are not using Windows 8 organization wise but I can definitely test from my personal laptop but down the line we need to work on Windows 7.
If you have any previous existing workaround for windows 7 rendering then I can try.

Thanks in advance!!

ArctionTero

Post by ArctionTero » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:18 am

Hi Madhur,

What is the OS of the remote computer and its GPU?

You could also try to set chart.RenderOptions.RemoteDesktopVendorId to the value seen in the "Vendor ID" field at GPU Info window in our demo.
LightningChart Support Team, TK

Madhur

Post by Madhur » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:21 pm

Thanks Tero for response!!
I have set Vendor Id
chart.RenderOptions.RemoteDesktopVendorId = 0x8086 and tried to connect from same mahcine that has same configuration with my machine (i.e. Windows 7 enterprise, Intel 4000 GPU ) it didn't work.
from another machine where GPU is as follows there also it is not displaying.
Remote machine: GPU Intel(R) Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0)

I tried from windows 8 machine to connect windows 7 enterprise machine but there also it didn't work.

It appears to me that when you connect through RDP it screws rendering process by taking control on it or something else.
If you have done testing from remote machine (as it is mentioned in documentation) please let me know is there any way where rendering process should come through host machine where lightning chart application is running rather from remote machine from where RDP is used.

Madhur

Post by Madhur » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:36 pm

In fact Lightning Chart Demo Application also not working on Remote desktop when hosted on Windows 7 enterprise.

Can you please provide specifications under which Lightning Charts works on remote desktop using Windows7?
Are there specific configuration need to apply to work with RD?
This issue is show stopper for us.

following possible workarounds applied but didn't work.
1. Setting the rendering process to software only.
2. Setting the RemoteDesktopVendorId to 0x8086 (Given in Demo, GPU info)

Thank you!!

Hendrik

Post by Hendrik » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:51 am

Hi,

I got the same problem with remote desktop to Win 7 maschine, the chart is completley blank. Your demo is also affected. Nothing to complain for Win 8 Remote Desktop.
If I check the GPU info for your app, every value is no or "-".

What can I try to solve the problem?

ArctionPasi

Post by ArctionPasi » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:30 am

Hi Hendrik,

The WPF hardware acceleration my have been disabled in Windows registry.

Open RegEdit, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics. Delete DisableHWAcceleration value.

Does it solve the problem? If not, check that display adapter drivers have been installed in the Windows 7 server-side machine. Also check you are running with latest assembly pack of LightningChart.
LightningChart Support Team, PT

Hendrik

Post by Hendrik » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:41 am

Hi,

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics reg key is obviously not existing by default.
The Display Adapter installed is: Microsoft Virtual Machine Bus Video Device.
I dowloaded the current demo version from your website and it should be the latest version.

I attached the picture with the blank chart I see with the GPU info window as well.

What can I do?
Attachments
Blank chart
Blank chart
blankChart.jpg (104.28 KiB) Viewed 19461 times

ArctionPasi

Post by ArctionPasi » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:03 am

Thanks for that info. If graphics hardware is not available in the system, like here because of VM, the chart should go to slow DirectX9 reference raster state. The click-once WPF demo application is using our old version 6.4 and it has a flaw in automatic detection of hardware.

Please download the full SDK 6.5.1 and if it still doesn't work, apply our newest assembly pack 6.5.5. The newest assembly packs are available from our support and in Nuget, you can find it with search term "LightningChart".

Upcoming version 7 will have a faster DirectX11 WARP rasterizer that gives very good performance in systems without access to graphics hardware.
LightningChart Support Team, PT