Fuzzy graphics with high DPI

A forum dedicated to WPF version of LightningChart Ultimate.

Moderator: Queue Moderators

jrvdboom

Fuzzy graphics with high DPI

Post by jrvdboom » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:00 am

If I set my display to 120 DPI it seems that the chart is rendered at 96 DPI and then scaled by 125%. The output gets very fuzzy (for lines, text, etc.) or looks low-res (for 3D objects).

Is there a property I can set to turn of this scaling, so that everything will look nice and crisp again?

Thanks,
Joost

ArctionJari

Re: Fuzzy graphics with high DPI

Post by ArctionJari » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:52 am

Chart is rendered with GPU using a fixed size (i.e. the current system DPI that is used with 100% scaling). After this WPF renders the generated image on screen and if you change Windows' scaling, the original image will be up or down-scaled. Up-scaling makes it fuzzy since there is no enough image data to make the original image larger (i.e. interpolation). There is no property to change this behavior since it's built-in.

You could try setting chart's ChartRenderOptions.AntiAliasLevel to 4 and also try if setting chart's container control's UseLayoutRounding property to true or false makes it any crisper.

jrvdboom

Post by jrvdboom » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:38 pm

Let me guess: you create a D3D back buffer with LightningChartUltimate.ActualWidth and LightningChartUltimate.ActualHeight for the size. You then render the back buffer on a D3DImage with default DPI settings of 96. That would explain the fuzziness.

ActualWidth and ActualHeight are device independent pixels (DIPs), while the D3D back buffer size is in pixels. In my opinion, you should multiply the size of the back buffer with (actual DPI settings / 96) and set the DPI settings of the D3DImage to the actual DPI of the screen. Then you will always get a nice and crisp image, independent of the PC settings.

Maybe you can add this as a new feature in a future release?

Thanks,
Joost

blakeadkins

Post by blakeadkins » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:58 pm

Is there a fix in the future for this issue?

The fuzziness is really noticeable on tablet devices with high DPI; graph is fuzzy and text gets cut off.

ArctionPasi

Post by ArctionPasi » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:11 pm

We will revisit this issue in v.7, we have a new rendering engine under construction.
LightningChart Support Team, PT

Greg9504

Post by Greg9504 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:17 pm

Any word if this will be fixed in V7?

ArctionPasi

Post by ArctionPasi » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:00 pm

This is taking place in programming queue next week and will be included in v.7.
LightningChart Support Team, PT