MultiColorLine property for 2D Line Series

Need a new feature to LightningChart Ultimate? Post it here and perhaps it will be implemented in the next version...

Moderator: Queue Moderators

mobusek

MultiColorLine property for 2D Line Series

Post by mobusek » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:03 pm

The 3D Point Line Series defines a MultiColorLine property which colors the line according to the adjacent data points. I'm hoping that the Lightning Chart could define this for 2D series (Point Line Series, FreeForm Series, etc). In my case, I need to color data points and the line itself a different color depending on whether the data point meets a certain condition. As a super simple example, if the point is above Y value 100, paint it green. Our users don't always have data points visible, they only see the line. So I must color both the data point and the line. 2D series allow for individual data point colors, but not the MultiColorLine feature.

I am aware of the CustomLinePointColoringAndShaping event. I got it working to color the line as I required, but it drastically hurt performance. It's also extremely cumbersome to have to solve this problem in two ways for points vs lines (and 2D vs 3D). Given how easy this is to do for 3D, I'm hoping you can make it just as easy for 2D.

ArctionKestutis

Re: MultiColorLine property for 2D Line Series

Post by ArctionKestutis » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:12 pm

Hello,

Have you checked latest LightningChart version, 8.3.1.4001?
We released the improvement for CustomLinePointColoringAndShaping event. I believe that now the coloring of FreeformPointLineSeries is very similar to MultiColorLine feature in 3D.
Demo App example "Line, event-based coloring by indices info"
Demo App example "Line, event-based coloring by indices info"
CustomLinePointColoringAndShaping.png (45.27 KiB) Viewed 14620 times
Please check Demo App example "Line, event-based coloring by indices info" and other examples in the group XY -> Multi-color line/points.
If you still have worries about performance hit, let us know the details of your application. Even better if you could send your test project to our Support account for evaluation.

Hope this helps.
All the best.

wojtst

Post by wojtst » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:12 am

I am having the same difficulties as mobusek mentioned.

I need to colorize line serie with different colors. I tried using FreeFormLineSeries with custom coloring and shaping event like shown in example, but like mobusek told, it hurts performance badly. The MultiColorLine would be great in this situation. Is it possible to implement it like in 3D point line series?

Best regards

ArctionNitin

Post by ArctionNitin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:52 pm

Hi wojtst and mobusek,

We tried to give multi color line feature in 2D charts using CustomLinePointColoringAndShaping event as it was the easiest and quickest way for us (we didn't had this in our backlog for next 1 year). We even got good feedback from customers who requested this feature.

So, i would like to know few things to help you out:

1) what is the performance difference you are seeing in your application when you multi color 2D series vs when you don't?

I can also see your code if its optimized or not. My email: [email protected].

I am sure we will find a way to improve the performance.

Thanks,
Nitin Shrivastava