View 3D Data Cursor Functionality

A forum dedicated to WPF version of LightningChart Ultimate.

Moderator: Queue Moderators

mobusek

View 3D Data Cursor Functionality

Post by mobusek » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:37 pm

Hi Arction,

I've been experimenting with the new 3D Data Cursor with Point Line Series. My goal was to get functionality similar to the View XY Line Series Cursor, to have one or more fixed cursors on data points in 3D.

In our situation, we want to display a View 3D with 3D position data, and a View XY showing the X, Y, and Z positions as a function of time. And if you place a cursor in the View XY, we want to set a 3D Data Cursor on the corresponding point in the View 3D. And then vice versa, if you click on a point in the View 3D, we'd move the cursor in the View XY to the corresponding point.

Right now it doesn't seem possible to set the position of the 3D Data Cursor in code. I also don't see a way to get the XYZ values out of a 3D Data Cursor. Are these things that might be considered for the 3D Data Cursor? I think the 3D Data Cursor looks great and could work well for us, I just need more control over it.

And is there an alternative approach you can recommend to somehow mark/emphasize a 3D point with a cursor or something similar?

ArctionKestutis

Re: View 3D Data Cursor Functionality

Post by ArctionKestutis » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:32 am

DataCursor in 3D works similar way as in XY - it is dynamic cursor, which follow/track mouse-cursor. Therefore, in many respects it is different from LineSeriesCursor (ViewXY).
In the future, DataCursor may have static version of it, which could be dragged and set location programmatically. But it is not now.

Probably the easiest way to create functionality in 3D as you want is to use Annotation3D. ExamplePointTracking3D and ExampleSurfaceMouseControl from our Demo (Interactive Examples App) have some ideas of tracking/clicking, which could be used in your application. While in examples, Annotation3D track mouse cursor (through MouseMove event handler), you can set position of object directly. In addition, you can set ShowTargetCrosshair property 'On', to show 3 orthogonal lines radiating from 'Target' point. Below is the example of such Annotation.
Annotation3D With Target Crosshair.
Annotation3D With Target Crosshair.
Annotation3DWithTargetCrosshair.png (712.6 KiB) Viewed 8067 times
Hope this helps.
All the best.

mobusek

Re: View 3D Data Cursor Functionality

Post by mobusek » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:42 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I think the Annotation3D will work great for what we're trying to do. Much appreciated!